Thursday, September 5, 2013

I wrote this on Facebook a few weeks back but decided to move it over here.

There is a very real distinction between “Jesus loves me just the way I am” and “Jesus loves me in the current state I am in.” The difference is this…the first statement is untrue and the second is true. We often hear the first and will even nod our heads in agreement but that is simply a deception. The truth is that God loves us no matter where we are when we encounter Him but He loves us too much to leave us that way. I have served God for years but I still can’t say that He loves me just the way I am. If that were true, He wouldn’t convict me by His Holy Spirit when I do something that doesn’t line up with His will for me or His Holy Word. God is constantly putting His finger on different areas of my life and saying, “Now that we fixed that last thing, I want to address this next.” And on and on the process goes and will continue to go. Jesus loves me in the state that I am in but not the way I am.
The problem is the world has embraced the idea that Jesus loves us just the way we are and want to continue in that manner of living. The church hasn’t done much to correct the deception either. Churches are full of people who want Jesus on their own terms, living the way they want and asking God to put His stamp of approval on their lifestyle. Unfortunately for that kind of thinking, you must come to God on His terms. He will be Lord of all or not at all. Excusing sinful behavior and saying “Jesus loves me just the way I am” will only lead you down a path away from the God you say you love. Hebrews 12:14 instructs us that without holiness, no one will see God. Holiness is God’s standard and sanctification is His process for cleansing us. I am thankful that God loves me in the current state I am in but I’m also thankful that He doesn’t love me just the way I am!

No comments: