Monday, October 28, 2013

Guarding the Hair Products

So the other day my wife and I made a trip in to Target.  As is our tradition, she goes to look at girl stuff and I go look at clearance stuff.

We usually reunite somewhere between electronics and the movie/music section.  We loiter for a while, fantasizing about overpriced lawn furniture before meandering toward the food.

Somewhere in the next few aisles I will get bored and defect back toward electronics or maybe into household items.  Clocks...I like clocks.  Especially the really big ones that take up too much space on a wall.  I also like the picture of the United States map made out of license plates.

After a text or two sending me on a fact finding mission or object locating junket we reconverge near the household cleaning products or the toilet paper.

This particular day our travels had us looking for cheap clearance items we could give our daughter for Christmas as stocking stuffers or other gifts thereby extending our gift budget AND raising our status on our daughter's hero meter.

It is about this time during our Target adventures that we relocate to the health and beauty section, only this week I was sent ahead as an advance scout.

I'm not really sure what she went to look for but I know I ended up with the directive to go to the hair immobilization and follicle concrete aisle.  As my eyes began to glaze over and my eustachian tubes began to narrow I remember faintly hearing her say something about switching to a different brand of mousse for our daughter's hair.

Being the good husband I try to be, I arrived at the outpost and began looking at the myriad of hair products available to me and I quickly came to a realization.  I am standing alone in an aisle full of products, of which I am mostly unfamiliar with their use or application.  Spritzing, curling, moisturizing and thickening all scare me so I will not be making a selection.  This is outside my strike zone.  All I am really able to do is compare the cost of the items which I'm convinced is the last measure my wife will consider, let alone implement in her selection process.

The truth is, I have no decision making authority in this arena!

My wife has not yet arrived so in essence....I'm guarding the hair products!

I'm not sure why or from whom.

Why was I sent here?

I would never send her to the woods to bring back a moose so why am I in her domain trying to bring back a mousse?

And seriously, I'm over 40 years old and have had the same hair style as long as I've combed my hair. Well, that is with the exception of the brief "part it down the middle" phase from college.  But everyone experiments in college....right?

No authority...just guarding the territory.

I begin giggling somewhat quietly to myself.  (This accomplishes nothing except possibly scaring off other female shoppers who wonder why the guy is giggling to himself as he clearly guards the hair products for his wife.)

So what is the spiritual lesson in this?

Here it is:

As a child of God there are promises given to me in His Word that I have every right and authority to walk in.

I am who God says I am regardless of how insecure I may feel, unworthy I may appear or how often I have failed in my attempts to follow Him.

I know that no weapon formed against me shall prosper. (Isaiah 54:17)

I am an overcomer by the blood of the Lamb AND the word of my testimony. (Revelation 12:11)

If I confess my sins, He is faithful and just to forgive my sins AND cleanse me from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)

Etc., etc., etc.  The list goes on and on.

It really doesn't matter if the enemy of my soul is standing guard with no authority over the things I want and need as I walk with God.

As a child of God I am entitled to all of God's promises!  The only authority that matters is God's authority.

I'm going to live my life unafraid!  That guy giggling to himself in the aisle, guarding all the spiritual goodies God has for me, can't stop me.  He can only try to stand in the way.  Truth is, he realizes he has no business there whatsoever!  Once I know that, he is powerless!

No comments: